Aug 29

Ubadkitty
Xygrlnxtdoor
Gankdalf
Ublinkudie
Ihealu (or any of the countless variations thereon)
Wontheal (now there’s a priest I want to run with, oh yes)
Damagecapz (yes, it’s a mage)
Hippycheeze
Missdameaner
Healzforgold
Chainhealz (no prizes for guessing which class this is)
Lovrgirl
Snipercon
Elitenemesis
Wykidd
Deadlynoob
Invmeplz
Lakersfan

In the good old days, all of these would have earnt the player a forced name change for contravening Blizzard’s naming policy. These days, all they earn is the scorn and derision of players around them…

Comment by Rohan

Made Friday, 29 of August , 2008 at 7:10 am

Maybe it’s just me, but “Gankdalf” is pretty clever.

Comment by Phyllixia

Made Friday, 29 of August , 2008 at 7:34 am

I’m with Rohan – I quite like “Gankdalf” :D With the exception of my main (those who know my real name will know what I mean), all of my characters and pets have names that I think sound appropriate for the race, but I don’t mind when others use them. It’s like when someone IRL names their kid weirdly (”Apple” for instance); I may not like the name personally, but it’s their choice. :P

Made Friday, 29 of August , 2008 at 7:44 am

I don’t mind Gankdalf too much, true – especially not compared with some of the others on the list :)

Comment by Rhoelyn

Made Friday, 29 of August , 2008 at 8:38 am

Maybe I’m missing a witty coloquialism or something, but what’s wrong with Snipercon? It reminds me of Robokon or Blizzcon or Comicon. :P Maybe my mental train is running on the wrong track.

Sayin’,
~Rhoe

Comment by Gnomerie

Made Friday, 29 of August , 2008 at 11:11 am

Any name where the use of ‘z’ is unnecessary. For example:

- Arthaz
- Utherz
- Illidanz
- Legolaz

It’s just really childish and immature!

Made Friday, 29 of August , 2008 at 2:43 pm

Rhoelyn – actually, yeah, Snipercon’s not that bad if you read it like that :) I had been reading it like “Sniper Con” as in a sniper named Con, ie the equivalent of “warriorjoe” the like – and that _is_ dodgy… but I’ll give the player the benefit of the doubt :)

Comment by Myna

Made Friday, 29 of August , 2008 at 5:55 pm

I go for anything with a lol at the end. *shudder*
Sihalol, Mynalol, names like that seem to spread like a plague on our server.

Comment by Captain The First

Made Friday, 29 of August , 2008 at 7:26 pm

I thought you could simply report those people and they’d get either a forced name change or be prompted for a name change upon next login. Is this no longer the case?

I don’t generally report names so I can only go by what blizzard’s policy says.

As it stands the name is a good indication of what kind of person you’re dealing with so I tend to not report those kind of things.

At least with ‘deadlynoob’ you know what kind of person you’re dealing with (a non-creative one at the least) a forced namechange to ‘Sir Percival’ only makes it more difficult to pick out the idiots before inviting them to your group hehe.

Comment by theremover

Made Friday, 29 of August , 2008 at 8:46 pm

I get soooo annoyed with lame stupid named characters running around.

Among the chief of lame and annoying on my server:

Whofartedman

annnd a myriad of combinations of mundane american people names accompanied by class name or some other lame thing.

IE: “danftw”, “danthewarlock”

Comment by Anna

Made Saturday, 30 of August , 2008 at 1:22 am

I once reported a paladin named “cdplyr”. Normally I’d have thought he was a spammer-bot, except he was level 15 at the time.

That said, I still want to see a trio (perhaps multiboxed) of gnomes named Tankem, Gankem and Shankem (a warrior and two rogues). Mostly because it would crack me up!

Comment by Treylah

Made Saturday, 30 of August , 2008 at 4:52 am

I’ve actually grouped with Wontheal on Proudmoore on several 10/25-mans; and I would do it again! The name is a misnomer – there’s a story behind it that I would actually share if I remembered it (curse my short term memory). All he actually does is heal and he quite enjoys it. But I am one of those that judge by how much thought they put in their names. Wontheal was one if the times my judgment was sorely wrong. =P

Made Saturday, 30 of August , 2008 at 7:52 am

@Anna: I concur – that would be pretty awesome. Like Huey, Dewey and Louie… only stabbier.

@Treylah: I agree – the player behind the name is far from an idiot; I think I’ve grouped with him for pug raids too. I still maintain that the name is terrible though ;-)

@Captain: Unfortunately, I’ve seen a number of naming policy violations go reported and go unchanged; I’ve heard Blizzard does still enforce the policy on RP realms, but normal realms tend to go unenforced… I assume it’s a lack of manpower to blame. That said, I’m sure plenty of these players are decent players – I’ve grouped with deadlynoob, for instance, and he’s a fine mage – but the names do not inspire confidence.

Comment by Wontheal

Made Thursday, 26 of March , 2009 at 1:32 pm

Well, google up your toon name and look at what you find?

I named my priest (my now main) after levelling a mage and a rogue primarily through LFG. I love to pug, but I hate the random whispers that you get from people that have just done a /who priest and start annoying everyone that pops up. (it used to happen).

With a name like Wontheal, only when I place myself in LFG with a comment “I am actually a healer” then I get invites when I want them and no harassment when I don’t feel like it.

Have always been holy since day 1. No plans on dual speccing also. Apologies for bumping an old old post.

/wave Treylah and Siha!