As any regular level 70 player would know – especially a raider – the costs of mana and/or healing potions can become a bit punitive after a while, and no-one enjoys having to take a night off raiding/instancing to farm for consumables. Thankfully, Blizzard have recognised this, and while some of the steps they’ve taken were met with dismay from players (such as nerfing elixir-stacking and many flasks), they’re making it much easier to get your hands on consumables, no matter what your playstyle. So here’s a bit of a summary of sources to get endgame-level healing and mana potions.
Top-Rank Potions (Healing pots restore 1500-2500 health; mana pots restore 1800-3000 mana.)
- Super Healing Potion and Super Mana Potion: made with Alchemy from Outland mats (also available as loot drops, quest rewards, etc).
- Auchenai Healing Potion and Auchenai Mana Potion: sold by Spirit Sage Zran in Allerian Stronghold and Spirit Sage Gartok in Stonebreaker Hold, requiring 2 Spirit Shards each.
- Cenarion Healing Salve and Cenarion Mana Salve: sold by Mortog Steamhead in Coilfang Reservoir (outside Serpentshrine Cavern); costs 1 Coilfang Armaments per 3 potions. Only work inside Coilfang instances/raids. Vendor requires Exalted Cenarion Expedition rep.
- Blue Ogre Brew: sold by the Ogri’la quartermaster at Honored rep for 3 Apexis Shards. Only works in the Blade’s Edge Plateaus and Gruul’s Lair.
- Crystal Healing Potion and Crystal Mana Potion: sold by the Ogri’la quartermaster (probably at Exalted rep) for 32s and 50 Apexis Shards. Unlike Blue Ogre Brew (and Red Ogre Brew below), these work anywhere.
- Bottled Nethergon Vapor and Bottled Nethergon Energy: random loot drops in Tempest Keep instances. Only work inside Tempest Keep instances and raids.
“Cheapass” Potions (Healing pots restore 1050-1750 health; mana pots restore 1350-2250 mana.)
- Volatile Healing Potion and Unstable Mana Potion made with Alchemy from Outland mats (also available as loot drops, quest rewards, etc).
- Major Healing Potion and Major Mana Potion made with Alchemy from Azerothian mats (also available as loot drops, quest rewards, etc).
- Major Combat Healing Potion and Major Combat Mana Potion: sold by Master Sergeant Biggins in Stormwind Champions’ Hall and Brave Stonehide in Orgrimmar Hall of Legends. Each potion costs 2 Marks of Honor from AV, AB, WSG or EotS.
- Red Ogre Brew: sold by the Ogri’la quartermaster at Honored rep for 2 Apexis Shards. Only works in the Blade’s Edge Plateaus and Gruul’s Lair.
As you can see, some of the potions can be only be used in specific locations, while others can be used anywhere; however, it’s worth knowing the range of potions available to you. If your guild is concentrating on a specific zone, you can save yourself a lot of money on consumables by picking up the area-specific potion equivalents.