Feb 24

The 3.1 patch notes are out, and you can read them here on MMO-Champion. I’m not going to reprint them in their entirety, but! There are a couple of things of interest to holy paladins in particular.

Paladin

• Auras will now persist through death.
  • Blessing of Kings is now trainable at level 20. Removed from talent trees.
  • Talents
    • Protection

• New Talent Divinity:Tier 1 protection talent, increases healing done by and to you by 1/2/3/4/5%.
      • Sacred Duty (Protection) rank 1 now increases Stamina by 4%.
    • Retribution
      • Benediction (Retribution) now affects Hand of Reckoning.
      • Fanaticism reduced to 3 ranks for 6/12/18% bonus and 10/20/30% threat reduction.
      • Repentance no longer resets the Paladin’s melee swing timer.
      • Righteous Vengeance reduced to 3 ranks for 10/20/30%.

Well, isn’t that interesting? That Tier 1 talent, Divinity, looks like a must-have for holy paladins – why wouldn’t you want an extra 5% healing done? For paladins who’d previously taken Kings, it’s an easy switch – for the rest of us, it means giving up a delicious 3% crit from the Retribution tree. Goodbye, Sanctified Seals – I’ll miss you!

Also of particular interest to Holy paladins:

• Glyph of Holy Light: Can no longer crit and has had its range updated.

Obviously, it’s early days yet, and this is all subject to change anyway; I will, of course, keep you all informed.

Comment by Sophie

Made Tuesday, 24 of February , 2009 at 9:45 pm

Yes, Divinity does look yummy for us holy pallies! I just hope the max buff for Kings isn’t nerfed. It’s my top requested buff in 5-mans.

Comment by Kimberly

Made Tuesday, 24 of February , 2009 at 10:27 pm

I was looking forward to dumping my BoK points into the Ret tree, but that Divinity looks yummy.

And why won’t they leave my Glyph of Holy Light alone??

That said, I managed to be a part of 2-healing Naxx-10 this weekend and survived quite well without using as much Divine Plea. So I guess I’ll survive whatever Blizzard tosses at me.

Comment by Honorshammer

Made Wednesday, 25 of February , 2009 at 2:00 am

Maybe it’s just me, but when I see Divinity, all I see if “Increases your overheal by 5%”.

Comment by Rocklaw

Made Wednesday, 25 of February , 2009 at 3:37 am

I’m the same as Kimberly – was going to take those 5 points from Kings for the extra 3% crit in ret and a full imp’d wisdom (instead of the partly imp’d that I have now). Now, however, I will be plowing those 5 points right back into the protection tree for Divinity. All in all, 3.1 looks like a wash thus far. The new glyphs are just not interesting enough to replace what I have now. Keeping my eyes on the PTR.

Comment by Fyra (Moon Guard US)

Made Wednesday, 25 of February , 2009 at 8:17 am

How about a 51/2/18 build for PvE? I think that 3% crit is better than 3% healing done, given the fact that they should theoretically give the same amount of ‘bonus’ healing, the fact that crit returns mana, and Infusion of Light procs being our way of healing on the go. To me, more crit = more mana = more ability to do holy light spam (as opposed to mixing in FoL).

Comment by Ngita

Made Wednesday, 25 of February , 2009 at 11:50 am

I would see 51/2/18 as preferable. 3% crit for mana regen > 0.5% healing 2.5% overheal.

Comment by Monty

Made Wednesday, 25 of February , 2009 at 5:22 pm

I’m not sure if I really like this change, yeah more heals = good, but it also further restricts the paladin cookie cutter spec… Now your talking strict 51/5/15 or 51/2/18. Before you had 51/0/18 with 2 floater points that you could use however you wanted: persuit of justice, maybe one of the less useful holy talents, or a prot debuff…

I agree the 51/2/18 build will be the most desirable, particularly if blizzard keeps attacking mana regen…

Comment by BlogofLight

Made Friday, 27 of February , 2009 at 6:55 pm

I’ll be another one of the 51/2/18 pallies. Fyra said it best, Crit = Mana = More Healing. I also agree with Ngita. Losing out on that 3% won’t be cripping as our heals are too big anyway.

I’ll miss Pursuit of Justice though! hahaha

Great info as always Siha <3

Comment by Vince Lombardi

Made Wednesday, 4 of March , 2009 at 2:51 am

Although it is 5% extra healing, i still believe sanctified seals would be better seein as 5% healing isnt much and 3% crit is, and is still more beneficial since crit is your mana regen as holy.

Comment by Vince Lombardi

Made Wednesday, 4 of March , 2009 at 2:54 am

Also if your very mana efficeint as holy you could drop your glyph that reduces mana cost of healing spells when seal of wisdom is active, and you could pick up the one that gives you 5% extra healing when seal of light is active this way you could get sanctified seals and still have your 5% extra healing without using the points

Comment by Doogiehowser

Made Wednesday, 4 of March , 2009 at 7:02 am

First comment but I’ve really enjoyed your blog!

I’m with Honors (is this the same Honors from maintankadin?)

I don’t see the need for more heals when we are already overhealing by a large margin.

I’ll take my +3% crit and my PoJ because I tend to find myself standing in the green/purple/black/red stuff a lot. Doh!

Comment by MItch

Made Sunday, 29 of March , 2009 at 11:13 am

Everyone says theyve nerfed pallies? but these are all buffs?