With the accelerated levelling curve introduced in 2.3, it’s quite common to only do an instance once as you’re levelling an alt. So, naturally one wants to knock off all the quests you can – this series aims to provide a quick one-stop guide to getting ready for pre-Outlands instances.
It may be out of order, but let’s start with Sunken Temple, since I’m just about to do it on an alt. Note that this guide is Alliance-centric; I haven’t discussed Horde quests yet, although I hope to expand the guides to include Horde quests later.
The Temple of Atal’Hakkar, better known as the Sunken Temple, is an instance full of trolls and dragonkin in the Swamp of Sorrows. It’s a level 49-55 instance, although you can get all the quests for it by level 48.
Lore-wise, it fits nicely between Zul’Farrak and Zul’Gurub; the ongoing storylines largely revolve around the struggle between the minions of Hakkar the Soulflayer to bring him back to the world, and those who oppose them.
These are the quests you should have when entering the Sunken Temple:
- Quest level 53, requires 38 to get.
- Given by the Atal’ai Exile in the Hinterlands (the friendly troll trapped in Shadra’Alor) to kill Jammal’an and loot his head.
- No pre-requisites.
- Quest level 50, requires 38 to get.
- Given by Brohann Caskbelly in Stormwind to gather 10 Atal’ai Tablets.
- Precursor chain:
- Start at Brohann in the Dwarven District; he sends you to ‘discover’ ST, ie swim up to it.
- Then you get sent to the Hinterlands, with a bit of go-here-and-there at Aerie Peak.
- Then you go find the drunken dwarf, Rhapsody Shindigger in the Hinterlands hills.
- Then you’re dispatched to Tanaris and Feralas to get roc gizzards, ironfur livers and groddoc livers.
- Then he tells youa story and sends you back to Stormwind to pick up Into the Temple of Atal’Hakkar.
- Quest level 52, requires 47 to get.
- Given by Gregan Brewspewer in Feralas to gather 5 Atal’ai Haze, which drop from worms and oozes inside ST.
- Precursor chain:
- Quest level 53, requires 40 to get.
- Given by Yeh’kinya in Tanaris, this quest requires you to fill the egg of Hakkar after defeating his avatar.
- There is, of course, a chain before this, and it’s tiresome:
- First up, Yeh’kinya gives you Screecher Spirits, a quest to go and kill vale screechers (windflayer-type mobs) in Feralas and then use a stick on them and talk to their manifested spirits.
- Then Yeh’kinya sends you into Zul’Farrak to get the Mosh’aru Tablets off two bosses in there.
- Then he sends you off to the Hinterlands to go steal the Ancient Egg from Jintha’Alor, which is a lot easier since the mobs are no longer elite, but it can still be tough, so take friends
- Then finally Yeh’kinya gives you The God Hakkar.
- Quests are level 51, require 46 to get.
- Both are given by Marvon Rivetseeker in Tanaris; one requires you to get the urn out of the idol in the centre of the Temple, and the other is just handed in at the Idol.
- It’s not technically a quest series, but you do have to do the following quests before Marvon will offer you these two quests:
- Go to Feathermoon Stronghold and talk to Angelas Moonbreeze, who gives you a quest called The Sunken Temple to go talk to Marvon. This seems like one of those optional linking quests, but it’s not; Marvon won’t offer you any Sunken Temple quests without doing this.
- Marvon will then invite you to get the Stone Circle from his workshop in Ratchet.
- Then you’ll finally be offered Secret of the Circle and Into the Depths.
- Quest level 55, requires 48 to get.
- Acquired and completed inside Sunken Temple by looting a quest starter off the corpse of the final boss (Shade of Eranikus). Use it, accept the quest, and then just hit the brazier in the corner of the room to complete it.
At level 50, everyone is given a quest chain by their class trainer that will eventually send you to the Sunken Temple. These quest chains are often worth doing; for some classes the rewards are very good even at high levels (eg one of the shaman rewards is still unmatched at 70). The class quests generally involve killing one of the green dragons in Sunken Temple, or killing the mini-bosses around the inner ring of statues.
Note that they all have a small chain, often involving annoying zones like Azshara and/or annoying features like low drop rates, that must be completed before you get the Sunken Temple part of the chain.
The class quests can be found at WoWhead here:
- Druid: A Better Ingredient
(Precursors: to Un’goro Crater, killing bugs in Un’goro, and stabbing a devilsaur.)
- Hunter: The Green Drake
(Precursors: to Azshara, killing deer in Azshara, and killing hydras along the coast of Azshara.)
- Mage: Destroy Morphaz
(Precursors: to Azshara, kill blood elves in Azshara and kill nagas in Azshara.)
- Paladin: Forging the Mightstone
(Precursors: to Western Plaguelands, collecting scourgestones and a bit of Fed-ex-ing.)
- Priest: Blood of Morphaz
(Precursors: to Azshara, kill deer in Azshara and get an Ichor of Undeath.)
- Rogue: The Azure Key
(Precursors: to Ravenholdt Manor in Hillbrad, kill furbolgs in Azshara and kill pretty much any beasts in Azshara.)
- Shaman: Da Voodoo
(Precursors: get elemental air, fire, earth and water, and kill bears and spiders in Western Plaguelands.)
- Warlock: Trolls of a Feather
(Precursors: get a piece of Felcloth and kill treants and oozes in Felwood.)
- Warrior: Voodoo Feathers
(Precursors: to the Blasted Lands, kill helboar in the Blasted Lands and kill cultists in the Blasted Lands.)