Mar 17

A quick handy tip for you all that’s made my life easier in countless raids and instances: Zoom Out! On any fight with environmental factors, it can make a huge difference. Want to not be the nub who can’t dodge a lava wall on Sartharion? Zoom out!

But, of course, the camera doesn’t zoom out very far – even when you scroll out as far as you can go, even when you go into your interface settings and set the maximum zoom to the end of the slider.

Fear not: you can go beyond the values that slider offers you; you just have to enter a console command to do so.

There are various commands that will give you the desired effect; the one I use is:

/console cameraDistanceMax 50

That will let you scroll out much, much further than the interface settings will give you. How much further? My zoom, let me show you it:

How to Increase Your Camera Zoom

Click the image to see a larger version, making it clear just how much you can zoom out. Hope this helps?

Comment by HP

Made Wednesday, 18 of March , 2009 at 1:10 am

I knew there was a command to do this but I keep forgetting it =X Thanks!

Comment by Euripides

Made Wednesday, 18 of March , 2009 at 1:29 am

This makes malygos so much easier… especially for placing those damnable sparks.

Comment by Athryn

Made Wednesday, 18 of March , 2009 at 2:25 am

There are a couple of mods out there that will do it for you as well. I first started using the max camera thing on Vashj, and I don’t think I could do Sartharion without it!

Comment by Vargarth

Made Wednesday, 18 of March , 2009 at 4:54 am

Not only Sarth, but also very useful in Phase 3 Malygos, to make sure you’re positioned amongst everyone else in the raid.

Comment by Doogiehowser

Made Wednesday, 18 of March , 2009 at 7:02 am

Wow, that’s great to know. I’ll be sure to use it on Sarth for those flame walls.

Is the number “50″ in the command the distance? If that is too far of a zoom out, can you just use your mouse wheel to zoom back in a little or do you have to use a smaller number for a lesser of a “zoom out”?

Comment by Armagon

Made Wednesday, 18 of March , 2009 at 8:51 am

Call me stupid, but on Sarth Drakes and Kel’Thuzad I actually have to zoom IN so I don’t miss the stuff to stand in…
I ran with this zoomfactor one evening and died every single time to stuff you shall not stand in.

Made Wednesday, 18 of March , 2009 at 9:48 am

@Doogiehowser: this command just increases the maximum amount you can zoom out to if you wish. You can indeed use your mouse wheel to zoom back in a bit; you don’t have to run around like this all the time. :)

Comment by Phyllixia

Made Wednesday, 18 of March , 2009 at 10:56 am

I also don’t tend to zoom out *too* far; I don’t usually have problems with dodging Sarth flame walls because I know approximately where on the floor the safe spots are. It’s definitely a good option to keep in mind for screenshots/vids though! :)

Comment by Anea

Made Wednesday, 18 of March , 2009 at 11:09 am

(The highlighted “Me” makes it hilarious)

I’d heard this command spoken of, but hadn’t ever seen it (or tried it, obviously) myself, but let me tell you, I love me some zoom, so I will certainly be giving this a whirl!

Comment by Merrem

Made Wednesday, 18 of March , 2009 at 6:12 pm

This is great, thank you so very much. When we were running BC I could zoom way out and see everything I needed to see. When I installed wrath I coulnd’t zoom out nearly as far, now I know how to get my perspective again.

Thanks again

Comment by Stop

Made Thursday, 19 of March , 2009 at 4:19 pm

I used the hell out of this tonight – thanks, Siha!

Comment by Footster

Made Monday, 20 of April , 2009 at 4:59 pm

Hi

This doesnt seem to have as much effect as i would think, just gives me a bit more of a zoom out

I have checked the zoom slider in the options, and i have scrolled out to max after using it, anyone have any ideas on what i might be missing?

Cheers

Comment by Acco

Made Tuesday, 18 of August , 2009 at 3:09 pm

I’ve always used this command especially on OS. One thing I’d like to know is how to make it permanent. I log out and log back in but max camera distance resets. I’ve read somewhere that you can edit it in your wtf folder, but that doesn’t seem to work for me. By the way, I really hate the idea to DL an addon just to fix this. Thanks for the help