Here’s a quick roundup of the latest changes from the PTR. I don’t normally post ongoing changes, unless there’s something big for holy paladins, but this time around the news sources are overwhelmed with Ulduar data and the class changes are getting a lot less press. So here we go. (The source: MMO-Champion.)
The usual caveat: all of this is subject to change before 3.1 goes live. If you watched the progress of class changes in the WotLK beta, you’ll know just how much something can change during the testing process.
This is from Build 9658 of the 3.1 PTR.
- All paladins auras had their range extended from 30 yards to 40 yards.
Thank God. Along with Blessing of Kings being baseline, this is one change where we can all say “It’s about time”. On the other hand, now Holy needs an 11-point talent.
- Sacred Shield now cannot be on more than one target at any one time.
This change was implemented because Sacred Shield was doing “too much” damage prevention in Ulduar.
- Infusion of Light no longer has a chance to reduce the casting time of Holy Light, but increases the the critical chance of your next Holy Light by 10/20% instead.
No word on why this change was made, but I’m hoping it doesn’t stick, personally.
- Hand of Sacrifice now lasts 12 sec or until the caster has transfered 100% of their maximum health.
A PvP limitation; I don’t think HoS gets used as much as it should in PvE content anyway.
- Targets affected by Divine Shield, Hand of Protection or Divine Protection can no longer be affected by any of these spell for 2 minutes. (Down from 3 minutes)
A nice change. Not unbalancing, I think, just making life a bit easier.
- Divine Sacrifice *New Talent* (Tier 3) – 30% of all damage taken by party or raid members within 30 yards is redirected to the Paladin (up to a maximum of 150% of the Paladin’s health). Instant, 2 min cooldown.
Well, protection paladins finally got their 11-point talent. You can see some of their discussions in this Maintankadin thread.
Also, this isn’t a paladin change, but it’s something you need to know about anyway if you do any PvP:
- Shattering Throw *New Skill* – Throws your weapon at the enemy causing [ 50% of AP + 12 ] damage (based on attack power), reducing the armor on the target by 20% for 10 sec, and removing any invulnerabilities. 25 Rage, 30 yd range, 1.5 sec cast, 5 min cooldown
Just like a priest’s Mass Dispel, that’s bye-bye bubble. Be wary of warriors wielding only one weapon!